Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Have and have not

I woke up about 1 AM. No idea why ... just couldn't sleep. I contemplated going into work but thought the baby might wake up before his usual 7 AM alone and scared. That and I am sure Ana would not appreciate the rude awakening of a screaming baby at 3 AM without prior notice.
So I sat in bed trying to will myself to sleep, which of course has just the opposite effect, and I started thinking.
So many people are unhappy with the life they are living. We are always complaining about bills ... spouses .. how our kids won't listen, how we hate our jobs. I sat there staring at the ceiling, thinking how lucky I really am. I have overcome so much in the past few years .. I lost my husband ... my house.. my car .. But I have so much now.. I cannot replace my husband.. and well jack can't seem to live up to his memory.. but I do have him and he loves me. I have a new car with cheaper payments .. and although I am renting now, I have a new, bigger house. I have 4 kids that love me, and that I love with every fiber of my being. I know every parent loves their children but I think sometimes we forget to enjoy them. They bring me so much joy. They are funny, sweet, silly, and thoughtful. I like my life ... I have bad days .. we all do. But if I could do it all over again I wouldn't change it...
So many people have less than I do. Less than you do. I mean think about it ... here we sit in front of a computer reading about someone elses day to day life. There are so many people out there who don't have that luxury.
I just think so many of us forget to appreciate what we have. We get caught up in wanting more when so many have less ...
I started thinking of little ways to help, and this is what I came up with:
I normally don't use cash to buy anything .. I bring my ATM card .. so I never really get the chance to donate change to the charities that stand outside the stores during the holidays. So I vowed to always have at least 1 dollar with me.
My power company has an option to donate to help people less fortunate with their utility bills... so I donated a dollar.
So many stores and banks are collecting food and toys for families during the holidays.. so I think this year I will stop at an off price store and pick up a toy.. and maybe a box or can of something at the grocery store. ..
I also started a change jar that the kids can donate to and next year we will go shopping for Toys for Tots.. and a couple of food drives.
Now, I have 4 children and I don't make a great deal of money... The holidays will be really tight for me.. but think about it .. every thing I just listed will come to at most $10.00 .. even if each of us more fortunate gave half that.. someone would be better off...
I know some of you are thinking... "most of what is given doesn't even get to those who need it". Well you are probably right. But.. what about the portion that does??? It could mean a Christmas dinner for someone hungry ... or save a mom from having to explain why Santa didn't come this year..

Anyway.. I'm going to climb off of my soapbox and go snuggle up with my little munchkin .. But I would love to hear some comments and or ideas of how you have helped.. or how we can :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment